Now moving forward let’s dive into salesforce. If you are familiar with Salesforce, then you must be aware that on this platform we no longer deal with data silos. If ever a person comes across the similar situation like above, salesforce comes to rescue by providing a single view of customer data. Salesforce Identity enables you to connect with your customers across all digital channels through centralized registration, profile management, and Single Sign-On. It makes it easier for a customer to get to your application. The advantages of centralizing are:
- We have a single view of customer, and no longer we need colossal database
- We can use the same data for reporting, generating analytics as well as feeding back into backend of business process
- Customer Experience: It is useful for customers to log in to any app, website or connected product.
- Deliver a consistent brand: i.e., it provides full brand control throughout customer journey
- Provide valuable customer insights: analyze usage and registration with reports and analytics.
EXTERNAL USER LIFECYCLE
Salesforce provides different ways to engage with its customer; Several methods are as follows:
- Form-based registration:
Salesforce provides us with a form having few fields used for registration. If user’s site host then they have two options:
- Force.com URL or
- SSL domain
It offers full programmatic control for excellent user experience. One can create the form using community builder, add new fields, create VF Pages and can customize it fully.
- Social Sign On:
The out of the box providers for SSO are facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, etc. OpenID connects which is standard protocol for Social Sign On. With few line of configuration, one can easily connect with the provider. Likewise PayPal, Amazon, etc
- For those who don’t support or vote for OpenID, we have an option of custom external authentication providers which is an abstract class which enables you to virtually write a plugin to connect to any Social sign On provider. It supports a way to authenticate and an API to return the verified user information. It is typical for new emerging markets or social providers.
Support API to registration
- SCIM or Rest/SOAP Subject API’s and Mobile SDK
As soon as the user registers in Salesforce, he provides with an account and contact. They define us the relation and data we have for a person.We always have an option to use triggers and workflows for custom process integration. Salesforce supports 3rd party identity proofing and progressive profiling.We can even use login flows to obtain consent, customs data and run security checks. One can make API callouts to 3rd party tools and provides an interface for customers to manage different profile.Salesforce provides us with Single Sign-On features for the external app like communities, mobile Apps, Custom Apps and Existing Web Properties.We have few, e.g., for Connected Apps, i.e., SAML, OAuth, OpenID Connect and Connected App Plugin.
Steps To EMBEDDED LOGIN :
There is a servlet hosted on Salesforce that hosts JS and CSS also known as Embedded Login. Using meta tags, one can quickly pull in the resources in the site.
STEP I: In Quick Find box search for CORS under Security.
STEP II: Whitelist CORS Origin URL Pattern. It is used to build trust in salesforce for that site.
STEP III: To get connected App, search for App in the quick search box. App Manager >> New Connected App >> Fill in all the details. Enable OAuth Settings for the same. Set the Callback URL. As soon as the user authenticates, Salesforce creates Access Token for them. Authorize your app to OpenID Connect.
STEP IV: Now a consumer key is generated for you. Now you need to authenticate. You can edit policies and Manage Profiles.Now you can proceed with creating an Embedded login. We can provide the option to add registration link, forget the password and create a servlet where CSS and JS are the hosts.
STEP V: Paste this entire code into your site and create a callback page.
The advantage of having servlet: It can detect what locale is using for your browser so it can translate automatically.If you are bored by seeing the same form each day, then you have the option to customize the CSS for the same.
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO WORK WITH SF IDENTITY?
- Declarative Tools : Workflows, Process designers, and layout editors help to extend features of SF Identity.
- Programmatic Customisations : Here we are provided with the option of Apex, triggers, related callouts, scheduled and batch code.
- Built for the cloud : It provides Heroku, 3rd Party applications into a single framework.
Now if you feel like to implement and try this on your own then go for it. Trailhead will be an excellent platform to start. Unique and detailed knowledge of things always proves to be to be fruitful. Hope you enjoy your journey!!